Family Day at the Beach

One of my favourite memories with my family was when we were in Ireland a few years ago for my Grandmother’s 70th birthday. My Grandma has a summer house right by the beach in the south of Ireland; so for her party the whole family (15 kids and 10 adults) drove down and surprised my Grandma. As cousins, we always get along so well even though we see each other a couple times a year. We ate cake and wandered down to the beach. My younger cousins found a huge blob on the beach, near the edge of the water and picked it up in a bucket. After a long day of beach soccer, body surfing and lying on the beach, we decided to head home. My cousins brought the blob to further examine it in a bucket. The blob turned out to be hundreds of tiny jellyfish! It was too late to take them back to the beach, so we burryed them in the garden. My aunt was painting her toes a bright pink while there was still some sun outside so, when she was finished, we took the nail polish and on a large stone beside the “grave” for the burryed jellyfish; we wrote ‘RIP’ and our names on the stone.

That night, we all slept over in the too small house so we doubled up on rooms and beds until the morning. Of course no one actually slept, because what do cousins do when they’re together?¬†We laugh!

I’ll never forget that time in Ireland -mostly beacause gravestone is still in the garden.

jellyfish-832701_1920

One thought on “Family Day at the Beach